Study Abroad

As I graduated from high school in El Salvador by 2018, I personally decided to begin my studies at Thompson Rivers University within the Winter semester of 2019. As I reached my feet in Canadian land, I immediately saw drastic cultural shocking moments I have never been aware of. On the time i was walking on the streets of Kamloops, a lot of snow was already on the ground! I never thought that nature could bring this much power in the environment. Therefore, I was always being cautious and aware to get through the snowy moments during Winter as I was continuously learning my mistakes. As i was walking through the snow roads, i even slipped off several times. From time to time, I tried to walk slowly and carefully each time. El Salvador is a very hot environment during summer with slightly cold temperatures during winter in average of 15 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, snow rarely fall into the ground. However, snow was indeed beautiful as how crumbled snowflakes or single snowflakes came in contact with my skin while it immediately melts, turning into water.

Sidewalk in Pineview area during winter.

As i walked through the campus of TRU, i discovered and learned so many places in which it provides most of the things that students need to achieve success in their studies. TRU campus has restaurants were you can eat, libraries and computer labs if you feel like you want to study or work up into something if you don’t have a computer available. TRU has also places where you can relax, places where they can give you feedback on writing assignments and even more! But most importantly, there are advisors for international students if you have any issues during your studies. For over 40 years, TRU has always received substantial support and appreciation for international students to gain the education they need. In addition, TRU has clubs of different categories on almost anything that you could think of! I really enjoyed going into clubs to meet new people and improve my intercultural learning.

Participation in Toastmasters TRU Club. I am the first person on the left side.